Back in the day of sailors and whalers, Hunter Street was the site of old Hobart Town’s bustling early wharf. Today, the 19th century warehouses merge historic charm with sophisticated modern luxuries. In the old Henry Jones IXL Jam Factory building, discover Australia’s first dedicated art hotel. Stay in elegant digs, admire the many artworks, and enjoy fine dining and perfect cocktails in the intimate restaurants and hip IXL Long Bar.
The Henry Jones Art Hotel showcases Tasmania’s emerging and established artists, with more than 400 original and contemporary artworks on display. Take your time exploring—there are thought-provoking pieces to discover in every room and space of this beautifully-designed hotel. Be sure to check out the feature exhibitions on display in the Packing Room. To dig deeper, join one of the daily 60-minute art and history tours of the hotel.
Wine & Dine
Eat like a king at the Henry Jones, with fine Tasmanian produce served to perfection in the award-winning restaurants, bar and cafes. For something special, keep an eye out for exclusive dining experiences hosted at the two restaurants throughout the year.
- Enjoy an intimate dining experience—tasting your way through a mouthwatering, locally sourced menu—in the charismatic sandstone of the IXL building at Peacock & Jones.
- At Landscape Restaurant & Grill, indulge in Tasmania’s finest produce cooked over a wood-fired Asado Grill. As you dine, take in prize-winning John Glover landscape art.
- Relax with live music, masterful cocktails, and a bite from the Tasmanian-inspired small plates menu at the atmospheric IXL Long Bar.
- Stop in at Jam Packed Café for morning coffee, all day-breakfast or an afternoon ale in the IXL Atrium.
- The Lounge is open for a continental or full a la carte breakfast from 7am to 10am, as well as coffee, wine and light snacks from 3pm to 9pm.
- Order in-room dining and taste Tasmania’s finest in the privacy and comfort of your room.
The Henry Jones Art Hotel is the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion. Each room and suite is individually designed and decorated, making each stay a truly unique experience. Every room is luxuriously furnished, with comfortable king-size beds. Admire the charming heritage features and 19th-century sandstone walls and ponder the stories behind them. Peer out your window to take in scenic views of the waterfront, Hobart city, and kunanyi/Mt Wellington.
To see what’s on, browse our list of upcoming events.
We love it when you share your adventures with us! Share your snaps by tagging @hobartandbeyond and using #HobartandBeyond on Instagram and Facebook – we’ll share our favourite pics on social media and in the blog.
24 Spots for a Summer Beverage in Southern Tasmania
The Ultimate Day Out at Mona Museum
For Foodies: Cooking Schools in Southern Tasmania
Top 10 Things to Do in Hobart
50 Ideas for Adventures in Southern Tasmania
The Ultimate Road Trip: Tasmania’s Western Wilds
Craft a Tasman Peninusla Getaway Around the Three Capes Track