While 2020 hasn’t quite been the year for weddings, sorry lovers, many couples are choosing to elope and have a small wedding sooner rather than later, and host an extravagant party when restrictions permit in future. Southern Tasmania is home to some beautiful destinations that will make your special day even more intimate and memorable. Celebrate with a luxurious mini-moon or save that money for the future and enjoy some of the best Tassie adventures without breaking the bank.
Elopement and Wedding Venues
Say ‘I do’ overlooking the rugged waters of Bruny Island, in an idyllic rural setting or amongst many many years of history.
For a rustic, country-style elopement, be sure to check out Willie Smith’s Apple Shed. Located just a 25-minute drive from Hobart, Willie Smith’s is set in the picturesque Huon Valley and offers a large rustic barn surrounded by green pastures. The Apple Shed combines a casual country feel with modern design. It’s a unique venue for your special event, only 30 minutes from Hobart.
Cement your love amongst the lush surrounds of the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens. You won’t even have to go far for your wedding photos! There is a conservatory, a Japanese garden (Autumn Maple and Spring Cherry Blossom lovers, rejoice) and many other locations to choose from. The onsite Succulent Restaurant can also cater for you post elopement lunch.
If you are considering Bruny Island as a destination then the Cloudy Bay Beach House is an incredible place to elope. The beach house can take elopements and micro weddings of 2-16 guests and offers stunning coastal views across Cloudy Bay. Bruny Island Coastal Retreats also have a range of different accommodation options, so if the beach house isn’t quite your style, check out their other venues!
Ever thought about eloping (or engaging) atop a lighthouse? Cape Bruny Lighthouse Tours can accommodate you!
There is something so magical about a vineyard wedding and Frogmore Creek is a stunning location to say ‘I Do’. Stunning any time of year (with luscious vines or empty ones), there is a beautiful onsite restaurant that not only offers tasty food but some of the prettiest and most elegant dishes you have ever seen.
For a private garden setting, Villa Howden’s beautifully landscaped gardens offer the perfect backdrop. Just a 20-minute drive south of Hobart, this French-inspired home is perfect for an intimate celebration.
For those after an intimate ceremony overlooking Hobart’s Derwent River, Glen Albyn is a wonderful option. Their courtyard area is truly unique and makes for spectacular photos.
Wilderness weddings are extremely popular right now and for the ultimate luxury experience, Pumphouse Point is the place. Set on the edge of Lake St Clair, this location is one to remember.
For a beautiful timeless wedding amongst history, Hadley’s Orient Hotel is a stunning venue. Their light-filled Atrium is the perfect backdrop for your special moment.
Art-lovers will love the Henry Jones Art Hotel’s elegance and heritage. The Courtyard offers a light and airy space that is ideal for smaller, intimate gatherings.
For a luxury arty style wedding, MONA museum is the most spectacular place. While the museum is currently closed, it is looking to re-open by the end of 2020, ready for summer wedding season.
The lovely Islington Hotel is a small luxury hotel in South Hobart offering amazing views of Mount Wellington. The hotel can accommodate 22 people for bed and breakfast, ceremony and reception.
If you are looking to head out into the countryside for a beautiful, small rural elopement, Ratho Farm in Bothwell is the place. Say ‘I Do’ under the giant Oak Tree, beside the river or on the footsteps of Ratho’s convict cottages. How divine.
Glen Derwent offer beautiful wedding ceremony and reception facilities. Step back in time and say your vows surrounded by heritage buildings and old English style gardens with wisteria laden paths.
Whiskey or Gin lovers will be right at home celebrating at Shene Estate & Distillery. Enjoy a table in the beautiful courtyard or Sip whisky by the fire and dine in the Gothic Revival Stables.
Experience the tranquil gardens and enjoy a post-ceremony pint of Tasmania’s finest beside the fire at the Cascade Brewery. The breathtaking gardens offer the perfect photography location.
The beautiful building and grounds of the Peppermint Bay Hotel offer a stunning setting for the big day. A micro wedding or elopement overlooking the bay will really take your breath away. For a unique wedding carriage, organise to take the Peppermint Bay Cruise (from Brooke St Pier in Hobart) and enjoy a little bit of Tasmanian scenery on your way.
With views overlooking the Coal River Valley and a lovely rural setting, Coal River Farm is a great option for a micro wedding. Did we mention they are also a chocolate store!?
Prospect House, located just out of Richmond, is a beautiful convict-built Georgian country estate and is a great location for your intimate wedding. The surrounding vineyards and rolling hill offer an amazing backdrop.
Channel your inner romantic and arrive at (or leave from) your venue in style with Heritage Horse Drawn Carriages.
Why not drive and/or fly to your venue in style? Overdrive luxury car hire and Tasmanian Air Tours (helicopter) and Above and Beyond Tasmania (seaplane), offer a range of options to help make your day extra memorable. Some even have Parks and Wildlife permits to access some of the most beautiful and remote parts of Tassie! You’re limited only by your imagination.
If arriving by (or getting married on a) boat is more your thing, check out SV Rhona H who include Federation Artisan Chocolate in all their trips and are able to sail you to beautiful locations within Parks.
We get it! You just want to show up, have it all organised for you and have a stress-free memorable wedding in the most beautiful location. There are a range of businesses who take all the hassle out of the organisation, so check out some below:
- Pop up weddings Tasmania
- Bek Burrows
- Artaud and Co.
- Wilderness Weddings Tasmania
- Event Avenue
- Flocked Events
- Rachel Calvert Weddings
- Hobart Celebrant
- Tim Grimsey Celebrant
- Jill harper
- Kath Tilly
- Kathleen The Celebrant
- Nat Weaver Celebrant
- Cinta Celebrate Love
- Julia Hern Civil Celebrant
- David Closs
For the Details
Tasmanian’s love an event and there are a great range of bespoke jewellers, florist, photographers, videographers and stylists to help make your day stress free.
Engagement Rings and Jewellery
If you’re looking to tie yourselves to Tasmania a little bit more and get something on of a kind, check out some local Tasmanian jewellers who create one of a kind engagement rings and jewellery.
- Metal Urges has the largest collection of Tasmanian Sapphires and offers clients the opportunity to create bespoke jewellery.
- Claudia Jewellers make bespoke and engagement rings
- Leverett Photography
- Rosie Hastie
- Nina Hamilton
- Fiona Vail
- Jonathan Wherrett
- Ed Jones Photography
- Cassie Sullivan
- Island Light Photography
- By The Wilde
- Ali Davis Photography
Southern Tasmania is a wonderful place to kick off your honeymoon. While the Italian coast might be off the cards for a little while, we think our little island has plenty to offer!
Enjoy a romantic cruise on the Derwent or the calm waters of the Huon River, stroll through the picturesque countryside, hike along the Southern Hemispheres tallest seacliffs or enjoy a pastel sunset from the summit of Mount Wellington with a bottle of bubbles. What more could you need!
To help the honeymoon planning process and for a great range of things to do, visit our Romantic Activities in Southern Tasmania blog.
There are some wonderful accommodation venues to enjoy your Honeymoon around Southern Tasmania.
- The tranquil surrounds at Moss Hotel is a calming inner city oasis.
- Macq 01 Hotel offers luxury and waterfront views.
- The Islington in South Hobart offers spectacular views of Mount Wellington.
- Maylands Lodge is a little gem tucked away in New Town.
- Avalon City Retreat is a must for it’s amazing views.
- Visit Mona Pavillions for a little bit edgy luxe.
- Take a step back in time within historic Hobart and enjoy a romantic stay at Hadley’s Orient Hotel.
- Lenna of Hobart also offers a touch of history blended with vintage luxury.
- For art and history combined, the Henry Jones Art Hotel is a beautiful choice.
- Enjoy a city staycation and mountain views at Crowne Plaza Hotel.
- The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel is perfect for convenience and space to unpack for a few days.
- Sullivans Cove Apartments offer 5 star apartment style and feature some of Hobart finest views.
- Take some time out and enjoy a stay along the beautiful Derwent river at Hobart Hideaway Pods.
- Relax in the architecturally designed Tinderbox Retreat.
- Enjoy some serenity at Villa Howden.
- Take it the wild, ocean views from the Cloudy Bay Beach House.
- Enjoy some time amongst the leafy surrounds of Free Spirit Pods.
- Adventure Bay Retreat’s ‘The Cottage’ is ideal for a private, romantic stay.
- Enjoy the rural surrounds and local fluffy highland cows at the Highland Getaway.
- Frenchmans River Writer’s Cottage will have you winding down in style.
- Villa Talia offers beautiful views over the Huon Valley and lovely interiors.
- Fair Winds is a luxurious three-bedroom home sits on the banks of the magnificent Huon River.
- The Boat House is the most perfect little getaway in Dover, romantic to a T.
Derwent Valley & Central Highlands
- Curringa Farm offers fully self-contained farm stay cottages near Hamilton – perfect for a weekend escape.
- For luxury in the middle of the wilderness, be sure to stay at Pumphouse Point.
- Relax in the country surrounds of Ratho Farm. Perhaps enjoy a leisurely hit of golf while you are there.
- Enjoy a luxury glamping experience in safari tents at Truffle Lodge.
There are plenty of wonderful accommodation options for you to enjoy a little bit of R&R. Southern Tasmania has something to suit a wide range of couples and budgets. Visit our full range of accommodation listings .
We love it when you share your adventures with us! Share your snaps by tagging @hobartandbeyond and using #HobartandBeyond on Instagram and Facebook – we’ll share our favourite pics on social media and in the blog.
Header Image: Frogmore Creek | Jonathan Wherrett