So, you’re reading this from your waterfront mansion, dripping in diamonds and draped in silks and furs (faux, obviously—you’re not a monster). One thing is bugging you though… All of those gigantic piles of cash, gold and precious gems are just taking up too much space! You desperately need to clear some room to have your celebrity friends over for that casual 10-course dinner party.
Never fear, we can help you out with this super relatable problem: why not whisk your beloved away on an extravagant, romantic getaway in Southern Tasmania? Throw that pesky cash money towards a luxury hire car, yacht charter, private plane and/or helicopter, fancy wining and dining, and unique luxury accommodation. Problem solved.
We’ve also put together some budget-friendly romance ideas for hustlers who are still waiting to try their luck on Shark Tank and make their fortune.
Travel in style
First things first: we need to get you a sweet set of wheels. Or wings. Or rotors. Or sails.
Hire a luxury car
Overdrive Car Hire has some seriously luxurious cars available for hire. Think Jaguar, Audi, BMW, Minis, Porsche, Alfa Romeos, and Mustangs. Most places in Southern Tasmania are an easy 1–3-hour drive from Hobart, so cruise around the sights in style and turn some jealous heads (midlife crisis? Nah mate, just a bit of fun). Some of Tasmania’s amazing road trips include the scenic Derwent Valley and Western Wilds (epic scenery), the Heritage Highway (historic charm), and all the way south to the paradise at the end of the road. Drive safe and please watch out for wildlife, particularly at night.
Book a private flight
Slick back your hair and activate your most reflective aviators. Take to the air and be whisked off to a winery for lunch, hover above the highest sea cliffs in the Southern Hemisphere, or fly to a remote corner of the wild Southwest National Park.
- Rotorlift Aviation offers helicopter tours from Hobart, cruising above Tasmania’s rugged wilderness and picturesque city.
- Osborne Heli Tours depart from Port Arthur Lavender, soaring over some of the planet’s highest sea cliffs and most epic coastal scenery.
- Above & Beyond Tasmania offer scenic flights, luxury transfers and custom charters in their seaplane. Experience Tasmania’s natural beauty from the air and touch down in some spectacular locations.
- Bruny Island Scenic Flights offer scenic tours and chartered flights, soaring above Bruny Island and the d’Entrecasteaux Channel in style in a Cessna 182.
- Par Avion Wilderness Tours journey into the remote Southwest Wilderness Area, flying above peaks, plains, beaches, and unspoiled landscape on the trip of a lifetime.
Charter a boat
Pull on your freshly pressed white linen and board your private boat. Take the wheel for a while or kick back with the wind in your hair and sip Tasmanian bubbles.
- Hobart Yachts offer multi-day sailing charters from Hobart into Port Davey, in the wild Southwest National Park, with a stopover at Recherche Bay.
- Alternatively, fly into Melaleuca and join Tasmanian Boat Charters on an all-inclusive, guided expedition onboard the Odalisque, a boutique floating hotel.
- SailTas offer relaxing sailing holidays onboard their spacious yacht, complete with an experienced skipper and gourmet Tasmanian produce.
- The Wineglass Bay Sail Walk is a multi-day adventure exploring the spectacular beaches, peninsulas and island trails along Tasmania’s east coast. Between walks, relax on the Lady Eugenie, a 23-metre (75-ft) luxury classic ketch, with fancy three-course dinners.
Wine & Dine
They say the way to a person’s heart is through their stomach.
- Spin your date right round at The Point Revolving Restaurant. Don’t forget to break lingering eye contact occasionally to take in the panoramic views of Hobart and surrounds.
- The Henry Jones Art Hotel hosts exclusive dining experiences throughout the year at their two restaurants. At Landscape Restaurant & Grill, indulge in Tasmania’s finest produce whilst taking in prize-winning John Glover landscape art.
- Try unique delights such as pig eyeball margarita at Mona‘s newest European-inspired bar and restaurant. Faro is open to museum visitors throughout the day as well as for fancy dinners Wednesday—Monday. Book Art + Dinner for exclusive entry to Unseen Seen and Weight of Darkness.
- Go bar hopping at the hip bars dotted throughout Hobart’s historic waterfront, Salamanca Place, and Battery Point. Sip your way through fancy cocktails and top-shelf spirits. Our tips include: Evolve Spirits Bar, Lark Distillery, Story Bar, IXL Long Bar, Society Salamanca, and Botanica Bar.
- Book you and your date into McHenry Distillery’s exclusive gin-making workshop and create your own gin from locally sourced Tasmanian botanicals.
- Tour Southern Tasmania’s award-winning wineries and distilleries.
Stay in Luxury
Lay your head down somewhere very fancy. We’ve listed some tips below, but feel free to browse our full range of accommodation options.
- MACq 01 is a luxury hotel that combines premium Hobart waterfront accommodation with immersive, captivating storytelling.
- The Henry Jones Art Hotel is located in the old Henry Jones IXL Jam Factory building, combining modern luxuries with historic charm.
- The Mona Pavilions provide fancy accommodation overlooking the Derwent River and are all named after influential Australian architects and artists.
- Pumphouse Point hovers on the surface of Lake St Clair, Australia’s deepest lake, nestled amongst Tasmania’s pristine wilderness.
We love it when you share your adventures with us! Share your snaps by tagging @hobartandbeyond and using #HobartandBeyond on Instagram and Facebook – we’ll share our favourite pics on social media and in the blog.
The Henry Jones Art Hotel: A Unique Experience
No Car Required: Tips for Exploring Hobart on Foot
24 Spots for a Summer Beverage in Southern Tasmania
Craft a Tasman Peninsula Getaway Around the Three Capes Track
Enjoy a Premium Fly Fishing Getaway in Tasmania
Weekend Adventure: 7 Things to Do on Bruny Island
Discover Battery Point’s Treasures
16 Unique Places to Stay in Southern Tasmania